Monday, May 24, 2010

I have windows xp media center edition, and getting Microsoft visual C++ on desktop toolbar?

I get this error right after I start my computer, before I connect to the internet. And the screen switches from my desktop to the blue screen from the media center and it says media detection in progress please wait...but never does anything after that. I am just learning computers so I don't know how to fix my runtime library program, any help would be great. If I go to the download at microsoft, I don't know what it is that I need to fix it?

I have windows xp media center edition, and getting Microsoft visual C++ on desktop toolbar?
I was getting this too on my relatively new HP computer XP media edition. It popped up on my system when inserting a new disc and the computer sat there trying to figure out what kind of disc it was and what to do with it.. I think. It got stuck. I had to ctl-alt-del and find the "disc gui" program running in the list of processes and kill that process to get any kind of control of the computer back.





TO FIX IT:





I did a file search for "discgui.exe" and found it a couple times in the c:/program files/disc/.. subdirectories. I changed the name of each occurrence of the file to "discgui.exe.old"





Problem hasn't come back since.





Regards


Scott


No comments:

Post a Comment